The Charterhouse has been living the nation’s history since 1348. Founded as a burial ground for victims of the Black Death, a Carthusian monastery was built on the site which prospered for 160 years until it was dissolved by agents of King Henry VIII. A grand mansion was built from monastic ruin inhabited by some of the most notable Tudor figures of the day. But it was in 1611 that Thomas Sutton purchased the site and established the country’s most significant charity which still bears his name. In January 2017 the Charterhouse opened to the public for the first time in its 669 year history with a museum and tour offer.
07/02/2018 14:00 - 15:00
Books & Courses Search
Search our catalogue and buy securely online.