Why are there two spellings: Lee and Lea? Who were Duckett and Prescott? Why was Thomas Homer transported?
In this half-day course, Jeremy Batch tells us the story of Limehouse and the Regent’s Canal Dock.
Since 1994 the Cruising Association has had its London headquarters at Limehouse Marina, which opened in 1820 as the Regent’s Canal Dock. In 1770, 50 years earlier, the Elizabethan ‘Acte for Bryngyng of Ye Ryver of Lee to Ye North Side of Ye Citie of London’ opened the Limehouse Cut. It entered the Thames next to the site where the Cruising Association House now stands. The 2012 Olympic site, now the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, is located on the Bow Back Rivers, some of which owe their existence to King Alfred’s outwitting of the Danes.
29/08/2020 14:00 - 17:00
Books & Courses Search
Search our catalogue and buy securely online.