Hints & Tips Two: Genealogy or Family History? What’s the Difference?
Many, including the Society of Genealogists, use the terms genealogy and family history interchangeably. However there are slight difference in definition:-
Establishment of a Pedigree by extracting evidence, from valid sources, of how one generation is connected to the next. (In essence, this means the discipline of the construction of a valid family tree)
A biographical study of a genealogically proven family and of the community and country in which they lived. (In essence, this means the writing of a biography of a series of related ancestors of common genealogy. Family History incorporates Genealogy)
- Help getting started with genealogy
- Hints & Tips
- Hints & Tips One: Top 10 Tips for Starting Your Family History
- Hints & Tips Two: Genealogy or Family History? What's the Difference?
- Hints & Tips Three: Surname Searching at the SoG and Elsewhere. What's Been Done Before?
- Hints & Tips Four: Genealogy as a Career
- Hints & Tips Five: Standards and Good Practice in Genealogy
- Hints & Tips Six: Employing a Professional Genealogist
- Hints & Tips Seven: The Right to Arms
- Hints & Tips Eight: What Should You do if Approached by Heir Hunters?
- Hints & Tips Nine: London Research
- Hints & Tips Ten: Palaeography Part 1: How to Create Abstracts from Old Documents
- Hints & Tips Eleven Palaeography Part 2: Reading Secretary Hand
- Hints & Tips Twelve: How to Get the Best Results from FamilySearch
- Hints & Tips Thirteen: How to Get the Best Results from the IGI
- Hints & Tips Fourteen: Finding and Downloading PCC Wills from the National Archives Website
- Hints & Tips Fifteen: Fact or Fiction? How to Analyse Your Research
- Hints & Tips Sixteen: Writing Genealogical Reports
- Distance Learning Courses
- Ask an Expert
- Share Your Knowledge
- Make Connections
- Professional Researchers
- Who Do You Think You Are? Live 2013 Speakers Handouts
- Census Detectives
- Who Do You Think You Are? Live 2014
Help & Advice
Help Getting Started
The Society's Record Guides introduce the sources that will help you with your family history
Hints & Tips
The Society of Genealogists hints and tips help you get the most out of your family history - explaining how to use and find records and resources.
Need some help with your research? We offer help by phone, face-to-face or online.