Volunteering With Us
The Society of Genealogists has always relied upon the goodwill and talent of volunteers. We welcome people from all walks of life, who are vital to all areas of the Society's operations and who contribute to a range of special projects.
Please note: the Society's premises is closed due to the national lockdown.
As always, keep an eye on our coronavirus status page to find out the latest news of our operational status and opening hours.
Volunteering at home
We have a very busy community of home indexing volunteers who contribute to the Society from all over the UK and beyond, and if this is something you are interested in doing we can get you started straight away.
To find out which project is right for you, see our SoG Home Projects Summary, and let me know your preference in your Volunteer Expression of Interest Form (link below).
Some Benefits of Volunteering
As a volunteer you can benefit from their participation in several ways:
- The opportunity to attend some free society events such as online talks
- The opportunity to participate in learning opportunities related to your work
- Membership of our SoG Volunteer Community Forum where volunteers can assist one another with their projects
and receive information about the society
- An e-newsletter containing project updates and information about the society and free events
- Knowing that you are contributing to a non-profit charitable organisation that serves a vibrant research community throughout the UK and beyond
Please complete a Volunteer Expression of Interest form
and tell us about yourself.
If you have any questions about volunteering at the Society,
please contact Christine Worthington, Volunteer Manager
Some Light Reading . . .
05/2020 Our Volunteers V: SoG Data Online Resources Indexers
05/2020 Our Volunteers IV: Pedigree Rolls Project Indexers
04/2020 Our Volunteers III: Great Card Indexers
03/2020 Our Volunteers II: Face to Face Volunteers
01/2020 Our Volunteers I: Counter Volunteers
12/2019 International Volunteer Day
11/2019 World Digital Preservation Day
10/2019 Libraries Week at the Society of Genealogists
10/2019 World Mental Health Day