The Society is always in need of volunteers to help with a wide range of tasks, both from home and at our premises in London. Below are some of the openings currently available.
Important current volunteer opportunities
- Scanning. You'll be scanning documents and books on the Society's suite of scanners. Full training will be given.
- Indexing project coordinators. If you have indexing experience and could manage a small project then we would be keen to hear from you.
Volunteering at the Society
- Book relabelling. Giving some of our books the loving care they deserve. You may have to lift heavy boxes.
- Book reviews editor. Contacting publishers to obtain books for our reviewers and preparing the reviews for our magazine.
- Counter volunteers. Helping people with enquiries on the library desks.
- Saturday advice. Giving 30 minute one-to-one genealogy advice sessions at the Society on some Saturday afternoons (experienced genealogists).
- Library shelf tidying (on Mondays or Fridays). You will need to go up and down ladders.
Volunteering using your IT skills
- Computer updater. Checking the public computers at the Society for latest programs.
- Email support. Answering email enquiries about aspects of the website.
Volunteering using creative skills
- Creation of lecture marketing leaflets and projects. Previous experience of Adobe Indesign or Quark Xpress required which could be done from home.
- Creation of web graphics. Adobe Photoshop experience required. Working from home.
- Photography for marketing material. Competence with a camera. This will be at the Society.
Volunteering for events
- Event chairing. Setting up the room and introducing the speaker. You'll be able to attend the event you're chairing for free.
Additional volunteering opportunities from home
- Telephone advice. You'll need to excellent knowledge of genealogy and the latest genealogical website and a friendly telephone manner.
- Indexing documents. Helping on one of our existing or upcoming transcription projects.
If you would like more information about any of these opportunities please contact our Volunteer Manager: email or telephone (020 7251 8799), stating your interests.