Website Terms and Conditions
This Privacy Statement applies to the Society of Genealogists web site (prelive.sog.org.uk) and our Online Shop, Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd. It does not cover any other site, or any site that we link to.
The Society of Genealogists web site does capture personal information about our visitors. You may choose to give us personal information, such as your name and address or email id that may be needed, for example, to correspond with you or to provide you with a subscription. This information is used only for the purposes for which it is given and is not passed on to a third party. For our more comprehensive policy please click here
All material, text and graphics, on the Society of Genealogists' Web site are copyright, and may not be reproduced in any medium without the express permission of the Society.
Anyone wishing to reproduce material on this site should apply to the Chief Executive. (Note that permission will not normally be given to duplicate textual material from this site elsewhere on the Web.)
Permission is granted to distribute the content of the following pages in printed form:
(Electronic reference to this information should always be to the relevant Web page since this is guaranteed to be authoritative and up-to-date.)
Use of the Society's Badge
The Society's Badge may not be used on a Web page without the express permission of the Society. Anyone wishing to use the Society's badge on the Web should apply to the Chief Executive. If permission is granted the following conditions must be met:
1. It is not used on a professional website to indicate Membership of the Society – please read the last paragraph of this section
2. It acts as a link to the Society's Web site
3. It is used to link to The Society's home page
(The badge may not be used when linking to other sub-pages within the SoG site.)
4. The image is not modified in any way (apart from re-sizing using HEIGHT & WIDTH attributes)
5. The filename is not altered
6. The image is accessed from a copy on the linking server and not via a link to the Society's server
7. The linked page does not come up in a frame which makes it appear that the SoG's Web site is part of the site providing the link.
8. It is not used in such a way as to imply that the linking site or its maintainer are endorsed by the Society
9. The Society is kept informed if the URL of the site changes.
Three versions of the badge are available:
- black on transparent background
- black on white background
- colour on transparent background
Where permission to use the badge is granted, any of these may be used.
Linking to the Society's Web site
The Society welcomes links to its Web site, and does not expect you to ask permission to do so. However, you are requested to:
• ensure that links to the SoG Web site do not make it appear in a frame
• check links regularly to ensure that they remain correct
• ensure that the link is not used to imply that the linking site or its maintainer are endorsed by the Society.
• ensure that a link is not made on a website to indicate membership of the Society
In particular, members of the Society are reminded that the Society's regulations require that:
• No Member of the Society shall use the fact of Membership or Fellowship to imply competence or proficiency in genealogical or associated skills nor to derive professional or financial advantage. Members shall not use the letters M.S.G. or any alternative thereto.