Reports to: Chief Executive
Hours of work: 35
Who we are:
Founded in 1911, the Society of Genealogists is a charity with a unique purpose – to help people to discover their place in history. We preserve the records of everyday lives and make them available to anyone wanting to understand who and where they’ve come from. We hold the sources for you to research the everyday life of your ancestors, as well as exceptional collections, such as TreeSearch™, our family trees featured online.
We provide a well-regarded programme of education and training supporting people not only to research their family roots but also to understand what they’ve found. Importantly, we also help people to develop confidence in their research and to ensure that their family trees are true and based on evidence. We’re a diverse community, including experts, novices, published historians, and first-time tree-tracers, but we learn and improve together, sharing ideas and advice. We are passionate about what we do and generous with our knowledge and time.
The SoG is UK-based but international in outlook with members across the continents. Although we have over 110 years under our belt, we are as committed and curious as ever, staying true to our own history, championing those whose lives lie undiscovered. Put simply, we recognise that knowledge of our past helps to illuminate the present and guide the future, so we continue to research, learning from all of our histories.
· Thirty-five hour working week and flexible working can be agreed
· Twenty five days annual leave pro rata per annum as well as Bank Holidays
· Contribution towards eyecare costs
· Access to member benefits of the Society of Genealogists
This role is based in London. The temporary office for the Society is at 356 Holloway Road, London as a permanent premises for the Library is acquired. The role requires on-site office working although there is some flexibility for working from home.
As Head of Membership (maternity cover), your key role will be to retain, increase and support our members, driving membership income and controlling expenditure. You will be resourceful, creative and proactive, seeking and finding innovative opportunities to bring the Society of Genealogists to new audiences, including institutions and individuals. It’s an exciting time at the Society as we take forward our transformation programme, seek new premises and digitise many of our unique collections. We have a loyal and longstanding membership and work with a range of partners in the family history and history communities. We are looking for a great communicator, with keen attention to detail and a flare for spotting marketing opportunities and driving membership growth.
· Manage membership administrators
· Oversee CRM (Membership Database) and membership procedures
· Manage membership data and forecasts
· Manage membership income and expenditure
· Membership transformation/development - membership/donation packages, systems consolidation, future requirements
· Manage member services including helpline and forum
· Oversee magazine budget and delivery
· Membership customer service - escalated issues such as refunds
· AGM coordination and voting
· Oversee all member comms
· Develop donations and legacies strategy
· Manage and streamline payment systems
· Create membership marketing/growth strategy
· Manage marketing budget
· Oversee and write content and monthly newsletter comms
· Coordinate marketing activity/write content
· Contribute to social media content/delivery
· Manage and edit website content ensure new content fits guidelines
· Marketing/website analytics and reports
· You may be required to undertake other reasonable duties, from time to time.
Knowledge and experience:
· Experience working within a membership environment (3+ years)
· Marketing experience within a membership organisation (3+ years)
· Experience working with various industry-standard CRM systems
· Experience of managing and working with content management systems (CMS)/email marketing tools
· Experience of membership and fundraising development
· Track record of achieving objectives (income/membership and engagement targets)
· Experience of budget management
· Experience of managing and developing teams
· Experience working across social media channels including developing paid ads via Facebook Business Manager
· Sound knowledge of SEO and creating SEO driven content
· Good knowledge of marketing tracking tools such as Google Analytics
· Experience in data analysis/spreadsheet use
As member you can make the most of our resources, access our experts and find a welcoming community of people interested in family history and genealogy.
We all have roots. Let’s find them together.