Volunteering With Us
The Society of Genealogists has always relied upon the goodwill and talent of volunteers. We welcome people from all walks of life, who are vital to all areas of the Society's operations and who contribute to a range of special projects.
Volunteers can work from home or at our premises in London and can undertake a wide variety of interesting work such as for archives and library collections, digital resources development, events, and research.
We are also keen to assist students (aged 18 and over) undertaking studies of history, archives, librarianship and other related disciplines, who are seeking experience or more structured work/industry placements.
Some benefits of volunteering include:
- The opportunity to receive training and learn new skills in a supportive environment.
- Occasional experiences arranged just for our volunteers, such as tours and visits to other collecting organisations.
- Invitations to two volunteer gatherings each year at which volunteer contributions are recognised.
- Job references or statements of work experience if needed/applicable.
- Knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to a non-profit and charitable association committed to providing excellent information resources and services for family historians throughout the UK.
If you are interested, please complete a Volunteer Expression of Interest form and tell us about yourself.
If you have any questions about volunteering at the Society, please contact Christine Worthington, Volunteer Manager.
On occasion, where the need arises, there are specific roles that may suit people with particular interests or experience.
Some Light Reading . . .
01/2020 Our Volunteers I : Counter Volunteers
12/2019 International Volunteer Day
11/2019 World Digital Preservation Day
10/2019 Libraries Week at the Society of Genealogists
10/2019 World Mental Health Day